Tangermünde – A historical city with towers, gates, half – timbered houses and winding alleys.
The castle of Tangermünde was first mentioned in a document in 1009. Emperator Karl IV. who is known as the businessman among the German emperators made the castle his secondary residence. Via the Hanseatic City of Tangermünde, he intended to seal deals with the at the time powerful association of cities. After his death, the House of Hohenzollern resided in Tangermünde for a couple of decades. Stone witnesses of both these ruling families, preserved very well to the present day can be visited on the castle hill. The 15. Century marks an economic heyday for Tangermünde. Cloth, beer and grain trade brought wealth to the city. Stately buildings such as the townhall or the massive city gates were put up. In 1617, a conflagration destroyed most houses within the city walls. Grete Minde has supposedly been guilty and was sentenced to death on the pyre. Because of her, Tangermünde has become a showplace of German literature. Aside from Theodor Fontane several famous poets also drew inspiration from her story. After the fire, numerous half-timbered houses with partly ornate portals and interesting forms of embellishment emerged. They are preserved to this day and form an appealing contrast to the brick gothic monuments. The industrialization of the 19. Century took place in the northern borough, so that Tangermünde could keep its original townscape. The historic buildings, the town wall as well as the castle complex are still in their original state. The “Neustädter Tor” (engl. Analogously “new town’s gate”) is one of the most beautiful medieval gate constructions of the northern German region. Two towers flank the main gate with its ogival thoroughfare. The rectangular tower was developed in 1300, the round tower and the middle house in 1450. The townhall of Tangermünde illustrates the prosperity and power of the municipal patriciate of that time, The city belonged to the powerful hanseatic association. Other sights worth visiting are the market place, which was the center of trade and communal life, the timbered house “Buhnenkopf”, the Nicolai Church, the “Schritturm”, the “Hühnerdorfer” tower, the prison tower, the Schlossfreiheit and many more.